SHARE

THE Portugal forest fires have claimed the life of a four-year-old boy who was with his uncle while his parents enjoyed their honeymoon. Rodrigo Rosario’s grandmother broke down as she said the youngster’s body had been found next to a car where his uncle had burnt to death inside.They were found near the spot where the fire broke out in Pedrogao Grande.

The man’s body was discovered inside the remains of the burnt-out car they had been travelling in – but the boy was reported missing initially until this morning. His grandmother broke down in tears as she told a Portuguese TV station: “Rodrigo my grandson has died.“His uncle was found inside the car and they’ve just told me they found a four-year-old boy next to the vehicle his uncle died in.”The youngster’s parents were told of the tragedy while they were enjoying a honeymoon in Cape Verde.His mum Ana

His mum Ana Cardita Rosario had been sending out desperate social media appeals for information on their son’s whereabouts yesterday afternoon.Rodrigo, who lived in Lisbon, was staying with his uncle Sidel Belchior, 37, while his parents were abroad.Officials were yet to officially name any of the victims at lunchtime on Sunday.  Three other children aged three to six are also believed to be among the dead.

One is a three-year-old girl. The fire broke out in the nearby municipality of Pedrogao Grande yesterday afternoon and spread rapidly in a way which Interior Ministry official Jorge Gomes said had been “inexplicable.”At least 16 people died in their vehicles. Others were killed from smoke inhalation next to a cemetery.Two firefighters are still missing.The official death toll has risen to 57, with another 60 injured. The figure was expected to rise as hundreds of firefighters continued to tackle the blazes.Fernando Lopes, head of the town hall in Castanheira de Pera near the central Portuguese city of Leiria close to where many people were killed after being trapped in their cars on a rural road, said: “This is a catastrophic situation. It is chaotic.“Many houses have been burnt down in several localities but we do not know yet for sure how many.”Several villages have been described as “surrounded by flames” and unreachable to the emergency services. The blazes were still active on four fronts this morning.Portugal’s Minister for Internal Administration, Constanca Urbano de Sousa, said: “[The firefighters] are fighting a cowardly enemy and we have to support them as they act on the ground.”The cause of the fires is not yet known, although the difficulties tackling the blazes were blamed by Jaime Marta Soares, president of Portugal’s League of Firefighters, on the condition of the country’s woods and forests combined with the high temperatures, strong winds and low levels of humidity.. 00FastNews. New source of news.